Tuesday, July 15, 2008

The Value of Mentoring

Parker Palmer posed two questions in his opening chapter that really pulled at the strings of my heart .

What made your mentor great?
What was it about you that allowed great mentoring to happen?

The rest of this blog represents my attempt to answer the questions posed above.

My first meeting with Don Smith came as a freshman in his World Cultures class. I remember being struck right away at his ability to make everyone feel welcome and comfortable. For me, Don was not only my teacher, but also my friend, role model, and valued colleague. In the ten years I was graced to know him he was always a source of great strength, compassion, and intellect. Don was the first teacher to ever tell me he loved me. He was also the first male teacher I ever encountered who was comfortable showing his emotions and true feelings to his students. It was not uncommon for Don to be unashamedly brought to tears while relaying one of his many “life lessons” to the class, or while introducing us to a song, prayer, or Bible passage that had moved him. The man was truly comfortable in his own skin and by being so, empowered his students to grow more comfortable in their own. Don was okay being vulnerable in front of his students and as a result was loved and respected by them in a way that more closely resembled a paternal relationship than that of a teacher-student.

The second question is much more difficult to answer. When I began taking Don's class my father was not around and I was struggling to adjust to life in the United States. Growing up abroad instilled in me an appreciation for diversity and the many qualities that make each person unique. The paradox was that I myself lacked the self confidence to allow my own unique qualities to come forth. Looking back on that time , I believe I was looking for inspiration. I think the thing about me that allowed great mentoring to occur between Don and I was my openness. My openess to him ,his style of teaching, and his offer of friendship. The mentoring that occured between Don and I helped strengthen my self confidence and gave me the courage to be myself and embrace the qualities that make me unique.

What steps can we take to foster mentoring relationships within our schools? Can this relationship exist between colleagues? Between teachers and administrators? If so, what is the value?
What things do we do that block the development of mentor relationships with our students and/or colleagues? What are the dangers involved with not nurturing these type of relationships within our school communities?

1 comment:

Sister Delia said...

You are so blest with Don's presence in your life as a teacher and as a friend. Thanks for sharing this to us. Yes, mentoring is one thing that I really encouraged in my school, however for some it does not seem to work. Perhaps what it necessary is openness for both mentor and (mentee). If this is present then, like you, a new teacher will certainly improve and a friendship is established.